We’re celebrating the holiday weekend with this gluten-free shortcake, featuring fresh seasonal berries in our favorite patriotic colors.
- 1 package (Bob’s Red Mill) gluten-free cornbread mix
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 pint full-fat coconut milk (chilled in the refrigerator overnight)
- 2 oz powdered sugar
- 1 pint organic blueberries
- 1 pint organic strawberries
- Prepare the gluten-free cornbread per package instructions.
- Allow to cool completely, then cut into 12 equal squares.
- When ready to use the coconut milk, remove the container from the refrigerator, carefully open, and spoon out the solids only (discarding or keeping the coconut water for another use).
- Whip in a chilled bowl for 3-5 minutes until it forms soft peaks.
- Set this aside in the refrigerator.
- In a blender, add ½ cup of blueberries and blend until smooth.
- Set the sauce aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Slice the squares of cornbread in half (cross-section).
- Place one half on the center of a plate.
- Add a generous dollop of freshly whipped coconut cream.
- Place a layer of blueberries and strawberries over the coconut cream.
- Lay the top piece of cornbread over this and repeat the steps.
- Garnish the plate with some additional berry puree and berries.
Nutrition Facts – Serves 12
Photographer: Carmen Troesser