Here is a simple soup recipe to get you through those cold winter evenings. It uses one of our favorite gluten-free carbohydrates, the Sweet Potato. One Sweet potato can provide over 400% of our daily needs for Vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. They are also an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, vitamin b6, copper, manganese and fiber. This soup calls for boiling sweet potatoes, as boiling preserves more of its cancer-fighting properties than roasting.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon white onion, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoon garlic, chopped fine
- 1 medium jalapeno chili, diced small
- 2 ½ cups water, or vegetable stock, or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, add the oil, then the garlic, onion, and jalapeno.
- Sauté on low heat until you can smell the garlic and the onions are translucent.
- Add the sweet potatoes and water.
- Bring to boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and puree until smooth.
- Return to the soup pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
The soup made be divided into 2 large soup bowls, or divided into mini shooter cups (as shown here)
For the photo, we’ve garnished the soup with a sprig of radish shoots
Photographer: Carmen Troesser