Are you trying to lose body fat and struggling to see results? We have all been at a point in our fitness where we have hit a plateau, or we’ve read so much information that we’re unsure of the best place to start. Perhaps it’s time to stop overanalyzing and simplify instead.
But first, let’s get something out of the way. Fat loss is not a sustainable endeavor. Fat loss is not a lifestyle or sustainable endeavor. Fat loss is a change for your body while maintenance is the absence of change. Using “fat loss” and “sustainable” in the same sentence is not a way to achieve life-changing results! Instead, let’s get after our fat loss plan and then maintain the results after we’ve gotten where we want. Here’s a plan for how we’re going to do that:
5 Rules of Fat Loss
- Intentionally work out at least 30 minutes every day and incorporate strength training at least three times a week.
- Hit a minimum of 10,000 steps a day.
- Eat in a calorie deficit.
- Eat AT LEAST .8-1 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
- Track everything and stay consistent.
It’s time to eat and move correctly and consistently. We’ve already broken down the nutrition, so now let’s break down the movement.
Fat Loss and Movement
Prioritize working out at least 30 minutes each day. Intentional exercise on a regular basis is a big deal, a huge deal, because exercise is a powerful fat fighting tool you’ll want to have on your side. This idea is very straightforward if you think of it like a key: intentional exercise unlocks the door to a state of fitness in which your body is metabolically geared for losing fat. Whether you’re lifting weights, practicing yoga, hiking, running, etc… do it with an intention to get your heart rate up and get better. You may only be able to start with a fast-paced walk for 30 minutes. That’s all good! And the next time you walk, increase it to 35 minutes. The intention is to do MORE WORK regardless of the type of exercise you choose to do!
Steps are an incredible tool to keep our “out” energy balance as consistent as we possibly can. That’s why #2 on our list of 5 fat loss rules is to hit a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. This could be a major challenge for you but moving more is a very simple and effective way to burn more calories and lose more body fat. A measuring device such as a FitBit can help you track your steps more accurately.
Do you see a theme here yet? Movement is key. When it comes to movement and training for fat loss, strength training at least 3 times a week will likely set you up for the best results. Strength training offers a lifetime of benefits, as it allows us to build or maintain muscle mass throughout our fat loss journey.
For the best fat loss results while strength training, perform AT LEAST 24 sets of work. Use 8-15 reps with each exercise and minimal rest between sets (aim for 30-45 seconds). Try a 12-week workout program that follows these principles or find a trainer at your local gym to give you hand.
Sample Full Body Workout for Fat Loss
- 4 Sets | 15-8 Reps | 45 Rest | Heels Elevated Goblet Squat
- 4 Sets | 15-8 Reps | 45 Rest | Shoulder Press / Standing / DB / Neutral Grip / Unilateral
- 4 Sets | 15-8 Reps | 45 Rest | Pulldown / Close Neutral Grip
- 3 Sets | 10-12 Reps | 30 Rest | Leg Curl / Toes Neutral / Plantarflexed
- 3 Sets | 10-12 Reps | 30 Rest | Dumbbell Press / 30º / Neutral Grip
- 2-3 Sets |10-12 Reps | 30 Rest | Walking Lunges / Dumbbells
- 2-3 Sets | 12-15 Reps | 30 Rest | Seated Row with Ropes / Rear Delt Focused
- 3 Sets | 10-12 Reps |30 Rest | Hip Thrust / Barbell / 1 1/4 Reps
- 3 Sets | 10-12 Reps |30 Rest | Triceps Extension / Flat / DB / Neutral Grip
Download the workout PDF to take to the gym with you!
Consistency is key. When you find a way to execute these 5 Tips for Fat Loss, EVERY DAY, you’ll be amazed at the results you get! Like an investment account, day in and day out efforts create compounded results!
Need some help fueling your muscles? We’ve got you covered there too with chef-prepared, ready-to-eat meals delivered fresh to your door.